Holiday Donor Shortage Causes Urgent Need of Blood
A shortage of donors during the holidays has prompted the American Red Cross to host blood drives across Northeast Arkansas for National Blood Drive Month.
The Red Cross received 50-thousand fewer donations in November and December of 2015 which has contributed to a reduced blood supply.
Dan Fox, Communications Director for the American Red Cross, explains that hectic holiday schedules make it difficult to collect blood to meet medical demands.
Fox says that even though this is National Blood Drive Month, blood donations are important every day.
He says they are looking for people of all blood types and that one blood donation can save up to three lives. The American Red Cross will kick off National Blood Drive Month this week at the Drive for Life event held at the St. Bernards Auditorium in Jonesboro starting at 10am on Friday.
Here's a complete list of blood donation opportunities from the American Red Cross:
- 1/15/2016: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., St Bernards Auditorium, 505 E. Washington
- 1/16/2016: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., St Bernards Auditorium, 505 E. Washington
- 1/17/2016: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., St Bernards Auditorium, 505 E. Washington
- 1/27/2016: 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Crowley's Ridge College, 100 College Dr
- 1/19/2016: 1 p.m. - 6 p.m., Lyon College, 2300 Highland Rd
- 1/22/2016: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Walmart, 3150 Harrison
- 1/23/2016: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Walmart, 3150 Harrison
- 1/28/2016: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., University of Arkansas Community College, 2005 White Drive
- 1/30/2016: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Mt. Zion Lodge #10, 985 Batesville Blvd
- 1/22/2016: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., Sloan Hendrix High School, #1 Greyhound Circle
- 1/20/2016: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., Black River Technical College, 1410 Hwy 304 East
- 1/24/2016: 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., Walmart, 1415 Hwy 67 South
- Ash Flat
- 1/25/2016: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., Ozarka College, 64 College Drive
Donors are required to check in with a blood donor card, a driver's license, or 2 other forms of identification. Donors must also be at least 17 to donate and meet certain height and weight requirements.
More information on donating blood, volunteering, or scheduling a time to donate blood can be done by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767), visiting their website, or by downloading the Red Cross Blood Donor App.