Jonesboro Police provides update for tornado disaster
The following is from the Jonesboro Police Department's Facebook Page:
UPDATED 2:58 pm (3/31/20)
Find an important list of updated information below:
- Construction companies: Those businesses wanting to do business in Jonesboro MUST obtain a privilege license from City Hall prior to doing ANY work in Jonesboro. These can be obtained (usually same day) at City Hall at 300 S Church. ALL COMPANY VEHICLES MUST HAVE THE YELLOW PLACARD CLEARLY VISIBLE IN EVERY VEHICLE IN THEIR FLEET. These will be obtained from City Hall as well. If a vehicle does not have this placard clearly visible on every single vehicle in their fleet, DO NOT LET THEM DO WORK FOR YOU!
- Scams: If you hire someone to do work for you in the coming weeks, know that they are REQUIRED to be able to show you their privilege license before work is performed. Get ALL information you possibly can to avoid scams - get a photo of their ID, their privilege license, phone numbers, business cards, etc. ALL COMPANY VEHICLES MUST HAVE THE YELLOW PLACARD CLEARLY VISIBLE IN EVERY VEHICLE IN THEIR FLEET. These will be obtained from City Hall to show Authorized Contractors. If a vehicle does not have this placard clearly visible on every single vehicle in their fleet, DO NOT LET THEM DO WORK FOR YOU!
- Mail: The Post Office on Race St is CLOSED to the public. USPS is still running mail but it might be delayed. USPS lost several of their mail trucks and are working hard to keep up. Temporary mail service will be set up Wednesday in the front parking lot on Race St. To check PO Boxes, you can access the Race St Post Office from Fair Park ONLY! The two other Post Offices in Jonesboro are still operational - Downtown Jonesboro and on ASU Campus.
- Roads Closed: Airport Road at the Airport, E Nettleton from Airport to Highland (this will be open intermittently today), Prospect Rd and almost all of the streets/neighborhoods off of it, Race St from Caraway to Fair Park
- Burn Ban: There is a burn ban effective immediately in Jonesboro city limits.
- Trash/Debris: Legacy Landfill is the main drop off location for construction debris and household waste. However, they WILL NOT take waste if it has not been separated. YOU MUST SEPARATE HOUSEHOLD WASTE FROM CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS OR THEY WILL SEND YOU AWAY. There is also a fee at Legacy Landfill. There is a city ordinance that states no natural vegetation is allowed at the landfill, all yard debris and tree limbs MUST be taken to the pit at the corner of Burch and Strawfloor Rd or to the COJ Incinerator site on Dan Ave.
- Curfew: Curfew is in effect again tonight from 10pm-6am. JPD personnel will be in place all over town to enforce a curfew. NO ONE should be on the streets after 10pm unless they are heading to or from work.
- COVID-19: All COVID restrictions still apply. You are encouraged to STAY HOME as much as possible. Your temperature will be checked before you enter any city buildings. City playgrounds and parks are still closed except walking trails.
- Animals: Those who are displaced can bring animals to Jonesboro Animal Control for temporary animal housing. They also have a food bank for those who are in need of dog or cat food. (870-935-3920)
- Donations: Donation locations are being consolidated to the following based on type:
• Monetary donations can be made to the American Red Cross at 870-932-3212 or to the United Way at 870-935-3658. 100% of UW donations will be kept local.
If you want your Red Cross Donation to benefit Jonesboro Victims, you must make the donation in person at their Jonesboro office located at 2416 S. Madison.
• Non-perishable food items can be donated to the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas (870-932-3663)
• Cleaning supplies can be donated to the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas (870-932-3663)
• Cat and dog food can be donated to Jonesboro Animal Control (870-935-3920)
• Diapers and baby wipes can be donated to the Jonesboro Police Department at 1001 S Caraway Rd (870-935-5562)
• Central Baptist is also a donation location (870-935-1950).
• Furniture, bulk items, clothing, and other items can be taken to Bearded Bouquet in the Shoppes at Hilltop. They have plenty of areas to store these items until they can be distributed. (870-333-1661)
- Food/Supplies: Convoy of Hope is set up at First NEA on Airport Rd. They have cleaning supplies, totes, and hot meals. First Assembly of God at 1020 Airport Rd has totes full of supplies and personal items for anyone who needs it.
- Volunteers: JPD wants to thank those generous individuals and groups who have volunteered to come help work but we are inundated with workers at this time and are at a standstill until utility companies get their work done. We are asking that volunteers HOLD OFF for a few days/weeks and we will post when volunteers are needed. We have also heard rumors that volunteers will be paid $10-11 per hour. This is NOT TRUE and they are not an approved vendor.