Bill Chappell is a writer and editor on the News Desk in the heart of NPR's newsroom in Washington, D.C.
Chappell's work for NPR includes being the lead writer for online coverage of several Olympic Games, from London in 2012 and Rio in 2016 to Pyeongchang in 2018 – stints that also included posting numerous videos and photos to NPR's Instagram and other branded accounts. He has also previously been NPR.org's homepage editor.
Chappell established the Peabody Award-winning StoryCorps on NPR's website; his assignments also include being the lead web producer for NPR's trip to Asia's Grand Trunk Road. Chappell has coordinated special digital features for Morning Edition and Fresh Air, in addition to editing the rundown of All Things Considered. He also frequently contributes to other NPR blogs, such as The Salt.
At NPR, Chappell has trained both digital and radio staff to tell compelling stories, promoting more collaboration between departments and desks.
Chappell was a key editorial member of the small team that performed one of NPR's largest website redesigns. One year later, NPR.org won its first Peabody Award, along with the National Press Foundation's Excellence in Online Journalism award.
Prior to joining NPR, Chappell was part of the Assignment Desk at CNN International, working with reporters in areas from the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Latin America. Chappell also edited and produced stories for CNN.com's features division, before moving on to edit video and produce stories for Sports Illustrated's website.
Early in his career, Chappell wrote about movies, restaurants, and music for alternative weeklies, in addition to his first job: editing the police blotter.
- Overwork Killed More Than 745,000 People In A Year, WHO Study Finds
- Netanyahu Vows Israel Isn't Done As Rockets And Clashes Ramp Up
- 'Creating The Enemy Of The Future': How 2 Palestinians See The Clash With Israel
- Minneapolis Trial Postponed For 3 Former Police Officers In George Floyd's Murder
- Israel In Turmoil: Violence Spreads To Streets And Occupied West Bank
- COVID-19 Was 'A Preventable Disaster,' WHO-Ordered Report Says
- 'It's Against All Of Us': Israel-Hamas Violence, As Seen From The Ground
- Uber And Lyft Will Give Free Rides To COVID-19 Vaccination Spots, White House Says
- Renewable Energy Growth Rate Up 45% Worldwide In 2020; IEA Sees 'New Normal'
- FDA OKs Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine For 12-15 Age Group
- China To Set Up 'Line Of Separation' On Mount Everest, Citing Nepal COVID-19 Outbreak
- 24 Reported Killed In Israeli Airstrikes On Gaza After Hamas Fires Rockets At Israel