Hannah Bloch is lead digital editor on NPR's international desk, overseeing the work of NPR correspondents and freelance journalists around the world.
Her first contributions to NPR were on the other side of the microphone when, as a writer and editor at National Geographic, she was interviewed by NPR for her reporting from Afghanistan and on the role failure plays in exploration. During her 2004-2014 tenure at National Geographic, she also reported from Easter Island and covered a range of topics including archaeology and global health.
From 2014-2017, Bloch wrote the "Work in Progress" column at The Wall Street Journal, highlighting efforts by social entrepreneurs and problem-solvers to make a measurable difference in the world.
Earlier in her career, she was Time Magazine's first full-time correspondent in Pakistan and Afghanistan, covering the rise and fall of the Taliban regime, Pakistan's nuclear tests, and the regrouping of al-Qaida after Sept. 11. She also established and led CNN's first bureau in Islamabad.
Bloch was part of NPR's Peabody Award-winning team covering the Ebola outbreak in 2014 and was the recipient of a John S. Knight Professional Journalism Fellowship at Stanford University and a Freedom Forum Asia Studies Fellowship at the University of Hawaii.
She is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and earned master's degrees in journalism and international affairs from Columbia University.
- The 2010s: A Decade Of Protests Around The World
- 10 Global Stories You Loved In 2018
- PHOTOS: Saudi Women Start Driving, But Activists Remain Jailed
- PHOTOS: Highlights Of The Trump-Kim Summit In Singapore
- Farewell To NPR's 'Parallels' Blog — And Hello, 'World'!
- PHOTOS: U.S. Embassy Opens In Jerusalem As Tens Of Thousands Protest In Gaza
- 'No More Hope': Slain Afghan Photographer Covered His Country's Turmoil For 2 Decades
- PHOTOS: Memorable Moments From The Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games
- Highlights Of The Pyeongchang Olympics Closing Ceremony, In Photos
- PHOTOS: Highlights Of Week 1 At The Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
- Highlights Of The Pyeongchang Olympics Opening Ceremony, In Photos
- 'Connected To The Whole Universe': Saudi Women Artists Show Their Work In The U.S.