Maureen Pao is an editor, producer and reporter on NPR's Digital News team. In her current role, she is lead digital editor and producer for All Things Considered. Her primary responsibility is coordinating, producing and editing high-impact online components for complex, multipart show projects and host field reporting.
She also identifies and reports original stories for online, on-air and social platforms, on subjects ranging from childhood vaccinations during the pandemic, baby boxes and the high cost of childcare to Peppa Pig in China and the Underground Railroad in Maryland. Most memorable interview? No question: a one-on-one conversation with Dolly Parton.
In early 2020, Pao spent three months reporting local news at member station WAMU as part of an NPR exchange program. In 2014, she was chosen to participate in the East-West Center's Asia Pacific Journalism Fellowship program, during which she reported stories from Taiwan and Singapore.
Previously, she served as the first dedicated digital producer for international news at NPR.
Before coming to NPR, Pao worked as a travel editor at USA TODAY and as a reporter and editor in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
She's a graduate of the University of Virginia and earned a master's in journalism from the University of Michigan. Originally from South Carolina, she can drawl on command and talk about dumplings all day. She lives with her family in Washington, D.C.
- A 4th COVID-19 Surge May Be Starting. How Bad Could It Get?
- Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo: U.S. Devising Strategy To Push Back On China
- As COVID-19 Ravages His Force, LAPD Chief Looks To Boost Confidence In Vaccine
- Health Officials Call On Mississippi Governor To Implement Statewide Mask Mandate
- U.S. Surgeon General: 'We Are Absolutely Ready' To Distribute COVID-19 Vaccine
- 'These Are Deaths That Could Have Been Prevented,' Says Researcher Studying Evictions
- Alaska Brewpub Owner On How He Hopes To Keep His Business Open As Winter Arrives
- Pfizer CEO On Next Steps For Coronavirus Vaccine And His Controversial Stock Trade
- Oregon Governor: Mitch McConnell Should 'Get Off His Duff' And Deliver Relief Funds
- Ex-Defense Secretary Hagel Says GOP Hesitation On Election Is 'Hurting Our Country'
- Health Care Workers Ask Therapist: 'Why Aren't More People Taking This Seriously?'
- To Tackle Racial Disparities In COVID-19, California Enacts New Metric For Reopening