NPR's Puzzlemaster Will Shortz has appeared on Weekend Edition Sunday since the program's start in 1987. He's also the crossword editor of The New York Times, the former editor of Games magazine, and the founder and director of the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament (since 1978).
Will sold his first puzzle professionally when he was 14 — to Venture, a denominational youth magazine. At 16 he became a regular contributor to Dell puzzle publications. He is the only person in the world to hold a college degree in Enigmatology, the study of puzzles, which he earned from Indiana University in 1974.
Born in 1952 and raised on an Arabian horse farm in Indiana, Will now lives near New York City in a Tudor-style house filled with books and Arts and Crafts furniture. When he's not at work, he enjoys bicycling, movies, reading, travel, and collecting antique puzzle books and magazines.
- Sunday Puzzle: Triple Threat
- Sunday Puzzle: The R&F Scramble
- Sunday Puzzle: A-T, As In Alex Trebek
- Sunday Puzzle: The Q-U Quiz
- Sunday Puzzle: Rhyme City
- Sunday Puzzle: Spanish To English
- Sunday Puzzle: P, B And J
- Sunday Puzzle: Game of Words
- Sunday Puzzle: State Capitals
- Sunday Puzzle: Accept Some Substitutes
- Sunday Puzzle: Don't Delete
- Sunday Puzzle: Next-To-Last